Subject: [Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Sep 28 19:09:55 2006

At 07:44 PM 9/28/2006, you wrote:
>Digital is easier.  Anybody can do it.  Just like 35mm opened up photography
>to the masses and made everybody experts.  If you're not shooting on glass
>plates, are you *really* making photographs?  :)
>--
>Eric

I'm assuming that this is said tongue-in-cheek.  "Anybody can do it"
- sure.  Just like anybody can do any kind of photography.  It just
gets easier and easier and we end up with more and more snapshots and
more and more trash and everybody assumes that all it takes to get
good photographs is a better digital camera.  I'm hoping that as we
are inundated with snapshots, the appreciation for good photography
(film or digital) can only increase.

Our newspaper, The Charlotte Observer, has started requesting
photographs from subscribers.  I assume they don't want to pay real
photojournalists any more since all rights are conveyed to the paper
for no compensation.  As a result we have local sections of the
newspaper that look like mimeographed free newspapers with
out-of-focus, flash-on-camera, totally-centered,
everybody-smiling-for-the-camera, grip-and-grin type photos.  I'm
about to suggest that if they want to look like free newsletters,
they should stop charging us and just give the newspapers away!!

What a mess!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com