Subject: [Leica] chimping, now Leica Sins
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 16 10:20:01 2006

B. D. Colen <bd@bdcolenphoto.com> wrote:

> Well, let's just say I've assumed that Tina is the one who's most likely
> know what she shot with - and if she is "guessing," she's shot enough
images
> so that she's probably right. But of course it's possible that she's
wrong.
> But why do I suspect that if she was "guessing" that she had shot a
> technically perfect image with the same lens, we wouldn't be having this
> exchange -her "guess" would then be good enough? ;-)

B.D., I've used three versions of the 55mm Micro-Nikkor: my father's
compensating, my former f/3.5 PC, and my current f/2.8 AIS, and two samples
of the Leica 60 Macro: my E60/Series VIII sample purchased new in 1979, and
my daughter's older well-worn sample.  No UV filters on any of them.  I've
compared the Micro-Nikkors with the 60 Macros in a wide variety of lighting
conditions.  I see a difference in the technical qualities of the pictures.
Not in sharpness, but color saturation and flare resistance. In difficult
lighting conditions the Nikkors don't do as well.

What have you personally compared the Leica 60 macro with?  Have you
compared it side-by-side in identical lighting conditions with your 55
Micro or your Olympus zoom?

Yes it's reasonable to believe that Tina knows what she's talking about,
but given the level of uncertainty she expressed and the lack of
comparisons with any other lens under controlled conditions it is
unreasonable IMHO to reach the conclusion as you did that the Leica 60
macro flares as much as your Olympus zoom.  One reasonable conclusion I can
make from your assumption and your conclusion is that your anti-R bias
continues unabated.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] chimping, now Leica Sins)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] chimping, now Leica Sins)