Subject: [Leica] R8, R9 for Street Photography
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Fri Nov 17 09:33:32 2006

The Subject of this post probably would give M users the Whammies.  But
hear me out, anyway:

  I've run a few rolls of HP 5 and XP2 Super through both bodies over
the past 18 months since joining the ranks of Leica users.  Over time,
the R8 has become the B&W body with the Elmarit 28-90 ASPH always on,
while the R9 is sort of the color/motor winder/70-180/tripod camera.

Certainly, an R8 or 9 with a Vario is less than inconspicuous, but I've
had a bit of luck from time to time pulling down an image in downtown
Seattle that evokes "Metropolitan Life".  With constant prodding from a
couple of R Forum members, I actually posted a few on photo.net.

Anyone else out there Shooting the Street with their Leica R?  If so,
could you share your thoughts on this and maybe a link to your work?

I'm asking because I believe that the character of Leica glass used in
the M series absolutely crosses over into the R glass, and that getting
the "look" of classic Leica M street shots is a matter of circumstance
and practice.

Any takers?

Regards,

Bob in Seattle (with another fresh roll of XP2 Super in the R8....)

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] R8, R9 for Street Photography)
Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] R8, R9 for Street Photography)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] R8, R9 for Street Photography)