Subject: [Leica] R8, R9 for Street Photography
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Nov 17 20:52:44 2006

On 18/11/2006, at 4:33, Bob Shaw wrote:

> The Subject of this post probably would give M users the Whammies.
> But hear me out, anyway:
>
>  I've run a few rolls of HP 5 and XP2 Super through both bodies
> over the past 18 months since joining the ranks of Leica users.
> Over time, the R8 has become the B&W body with the Elmarit 28-90
> ASPH always on, while the R9 is sort of the color/motor winder/
> 70-180/tripod camera.
>
> Certainly, an R8 or 9 with a Vario is less than inconspicuous, but
> I've had a bit of luck from time to time pulling down an image in
> downtown Seattle that evokes "Metropolitan Life".  With constant
> prodding from a couple of R Forum members, I actually posted a few
> on photo.net.
>
> Anyone else out there Shooting the Street with their Leica R?  If
> so, could you share your thoughts on this and maybe a link to your
> work?
>
> I'm asking because I believe that the character of Leica glass used
> in the M series absolutely crosses over into the R glass, and that
> getting the "look" of classic Leica M street shots is a matter of
> circumstance and practice.
>
> Any takers?

I have no real problems street shooting with the R8/9. All my images
from the trip to Berlin/prague last year were shot that way: I'll get
around to digging some up and posting them, but I have to "scan" them
first ;-) I found the 28/90 R8 and b/w a wonderful combination to
travel with

Cheers

Alastair

Message from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] R8, R9 for Street Photography)