Subject: [Leica] Leica M8: "I think it's going to be all right"
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Fri Nov 24 16:24:13 2006

I am new to the LUG (although I was a member a few year's ago), I am
here to listen and learn, but I am amazed by the bad rap many are
giving the M8 - because for me it is the ideal solution to my
shooting needs, as I will do a lot in B&W, and in many low light
situations.  I may never need the filter, and, when I do color, I
will use the filter, but only where I might run into artificial
fibers in black clothing, like a party, wedding or formal.  Other
than that I intend to work with it as much as possible without the
filter.

To me the beauty of the Leica lens is the most important factor, I
love the creamy deep finish, and the ability to take a shot without
the camera having to think about focus, f-stop etc.  I think it will
be a wonderful companion on the Street, and I am really looking
forward to working with it.

Secondly, I am glad the sensor is set up to read as much information
as possible, and many photos I have seen on the web reinforce the
fact that the image from the M8 is of extremely high quality.  A
colleague of mine called me the other day, and said it is easy to get
rid of the Magenta cast by a simple PS maneuver, so, how difficult is
that?

I am actually going to lease the M8 and 28/2.8 lens.  Sure, progress
will be made over the 3 years of the lease, great, just in time to
lease a new one in 2009, and I am betting the M8 will still be worth
something at the end of it.

I have no wish to argue with anyone, but just reading Tina and Ted's
postings confirm to me that the M8 will be a wonderful tool, and,
even though it may not be perfect, I am truly looking forward to
getting to know all about it.

Hugh