Subject: [Leica] Re: Inner Mongolia
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Jan 8 19:16:16 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 9:07 PM, Nelson wrote:

> I am planning a trip to Inner Mongolia (within China) this coming
> February.
> This will be my first time and I don't know what to expect.  Does
> anyone
> from the list been there?  What sort of equipments are best suited
> for this
> trip?  MF or 35mm?  Should I shoot Color or BW, slides or
> negatives?  I will be travelling with some pros/serious amatuers,
> so obviously we will be bringing a lot of equipments, so weight and
> portability is not an issue.

I've never traveled to Inner Mongolia but I have spent a lot of time
working and photographing in India, Nepal, and Southeast Asia. My
basic suggestion is keep it simple. Take equipment you are familiar
with, preferably mechanically operated Leicas or SLRs, a few lenses
and a backup body. The last thing you want to worry about is the
operation of unfamiliar gear. While China is now a technologically
sophisticated country, if a camera breaks in Inner Mongolia, I doubt
that you will be able to get it repaired over the weekend. I would
take a lot of color print film, the slowest speed film you can live
with. It is far more resistant to poorly maintained airport x-ray
equipment. You can always make pretty good B&W prints from color
negatives, not so the other way around.

Weight and portability is always an issue. The camera and lenses left
in a hotel room or on the bus doesn't do much for picture taking. Let
the other guys worry about schlepping equipment while you are taking
a lot of pictures. Finally, take a quality pocket camera as an
ultimate backup and to have one with you all the time. I used to
carry a Rollei 35SE but since I largely converted to digital, I carry
an even smaller Canon Digital Elph. It is the last of the tiny Canons
that takes a CF card. A 2 GB card will let me take 1000 pictures at
the camera's high quality JPEG setting. Besides the digital media is
immune to airport x-rays.

I understand that despite Global Warming, it is very cold in Inner
Mongolia in February. Dress warmly and practice operating your
cameras with gloves. Finally, don't get so caught up in equipment
anxiety that you forget about enjoying the trip.

Bon voyage,     Larry Z

Replies: Reply from cchan at pldtdsl.net (Nelson Chan) ([Leica] Re: Inner Mongolia)