Subject: [Leica] Leica 111c instructions
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jan 19 05:37:05 2007

Dear LUG folk, this evening in an idle browse past a local camera shop I
found a Leica 111 body for sale amongst the plethora of
Nikon F100s etc being given away for a fraction of their former value..
Their expertise might be gauged by the tag which was marked
Leica M body. Anyway I thought that it was reasonably priced and I felt it
was my duty to take it home. It appears to be a 111c from
1949 and is pretty clean externally even the shutter appears to operate
somewhere close to all of the marked speeds. Just guessing I
know but no obvious slowing down on the slow speeds, nor any visible shutter
curtain damage. The body is dent free. I mean the
chrome is intact and the sharkskin? Vulkanit completely intact. Baseplate
scratches and burnishing on the forward edge of the top
plate. The finder and rangefinder will hopefully benefit from a clean. RF
seems functional with decent contrast even in low light
tonight. Not greatly clear certainly. So anyway, a user, I hope and a lovely
piece of history for me as an M user. Certainly I will
need to invest in a CLA. The aim is simply to be a user and I'd plan to
acquire a reasonable lens after getting the body serviced.

Can anyone point me towards an instruction manual?  On-line would be great.

I don't have any experience at all with the LTM models. I think that I have
figured out the shutter speed selections. Also what
seems to be a diopter adjustment on the rangefinder. It lets me resolve even
very fine text at a metre or two. I have no idea what
is normal clarity for the RF or finder. Do I need to be trimming the film
leader? Any other advice would be welcomed. Lens wise, I
had in mind getting a period correct Leica 50 (a coated Elmar 50?) or
otherwise a 35 or 28 that I might use with an external finder.
Again any suggestions would be most welcome. It's purely for pleasure and to
preserve a wonderful old camera.

Cheers

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Leica 111c instructions)