Subject: [Leica] Re: Cold weather battery fix
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Jan 21 14:59:38 2007

I received a phone call from fellow Leica user Johannes von Trapp
early last week, advising me that snow was falling in Vermont. He
wanted me to enter the Senior's XC ski race at the Stowe Winter
Carnival because so few locals had signed up. Also to bring a lot of
money and spend it at the Trapp Family Lodge to help rescue their
miserable early winter season. I told Johannes that I was honored by
his invitation but I gave up ski racing when I started collecting
Social Security.

Both my wife and I have had little opportunity to enjoy snow during
this warmer than average Eastern winter. XC skiing is a sport that I
picked up while spending a frigid tour of duty assigned to a cold
weather research unit in Ft. Churchill, Canada during the Korean
"Police Action." My Norwegian bred wife comes by it genetically. Her
only fault is that she subscribes to the Lutheran belief that
redemption is gained through hard physical labor. She enjoys slogging
uphill. Since she is in much better shape, in all respects, than me,
it is pretty easy for her. I, on the other hand, cling to the effete
US idea that the real joy in skiing comes from the free feeling of
whizzing down from the heights so laboriously gained.

Anyway that brings me to the photographic topic of this post. I often
carry a P&S camera in an outside pocket of my parka. In past years
this was a fully mechanical camera, usually a Rollei 35. This year I
substituted a digital Canon S500 Elph, an admirable small digital
camera that takes up to a 4 GB CF memory card. For a few days the
outside temperature ranged between -7 F (-22 C) and -11 F (-24 C).
The wind chill was -24 F. As everyone seems to remember but me, the
Li-ion battery in the camera  functions very poorly below 0 F. The
camera turned on, suggested that the fully charged battery be
replaced, then shut itself off.

Why didn't I carry the camera in an inside pocket? Well you sweat a
lot when skiing and the camera would fog up when I took it out. How
about carrying just the battery in an inside pocket? That would work
but I would have to take off my gloves to put it in the camera and my
fingers freeze up at below zero temperatures. I tend to drop things.

The only fix I could come up with on short notice was to tape a small
dry chemical hand warmer to the outside of the battery compartment.
For those of you that don't live in cold climates, these are little
packets of a dry chemical mix that heats up when exposed to air. They
are sold in sealed envelopes and stay inert for years. When the
envelope is opened, the reaction starts and the packet heats up to
about 100 F and hold its heat for about 10 hours. The ones I use are
called "Hothands-2." They measure 4 cm by 10 cm and are sold in
envelopes of 4 at WalMart for less than $2. It kept my camera warm
enough to function perfectly the entire next day.

Marc Small and I have had a long off list correspondence about
winterizing cameras. We don't fully agree but we both concur that
something needs to be done to cameras that operate in very cold
weather. The heat pack seems like such a simple solution that I
thought I would post it to the list. I have never seen it mentioned
in the photographic literature. One of these packs could keep the M8
battery up to par in very cold weather. A couple taped to the back of
an M Leica or a LTM would keep the camera functioning without
winterizing. It might even help film transporting without static
discharges or base cracks.

Larry Z