Subject: [Leica] Custom white ballance <WAS>: I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Tue Feb 20 14:48:58 2007

Harrison:

>It would have been far better to have shot it correctly the first
>time and not spend so long fixing the image.

I believe we both agree on that.  :)

If you're not going to the trouble of putting a color correction filter on
your lens, then the white balance is being set at the time of raw conversion
regardless of whether you set the WB on your camera or on your computer.  I
guess it's just a personal preference.  I find it faster to make the setting
on my computer.  Probably a difference in how and what we shoot.

If you were going to take a white balance reading at the scene and then
select the correct filter to put in front of your lens or flashes, then I'd
understand why you'd want to measure the color temp at the scene.

The only time I've used the custom white balance setting on the camera is
when I made lots of shots with studio lighting and I wanted jpegs straight
out of the camera.  I'm always interested in trying to find bette workflows,
though.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/