Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 8 14:30:03 2007

On 3/8/07 7:37 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> I do not believe the 4/3 system was ever claimed to be more compact,
> just allowed the lenses to be designed to be appropriate for digital
> sensors. The explanation I read many years ago was that lenses,
> particularly WA lenses, would have to be much larger for a given
> image area than lenses for film. This seems plausible, look how huge
> a 35 f1.4 lens for a SLR (which has an exit pupil much further from
> the film) is than a 35mm f1.4 rangefinder lens. The 4/3 system was
> designed with a lens throat diameter big enough to allow this. In
> order to use the same digital optimised lens designs on a sensor as
> big as 35mm film would require a lens mount diameter almost twice as
> big as the current EOS lens mount.
> No lenses designed for film are entirely suited to digital sensors,
> it is just a question of how whether the shortcomings are entirely
> negligible or are acceptable to a user. The 4/3 system seeks to avoid
> the optical problems but  has the shortcomings of a smaller sensor.
> There is nothing about the 4/3 system which would lead to smaller
> lenses - faster lenses with less compromise and smaller bodies are
> possible.
> Frank

It is almost exactly half the size of APS-C. Which is almost exactly half
frame.

My point again is the APS-C camera only in the past years are being made the
size they rightful should be. They came out the exact same size as 24x36
format camera or bigger.
Now they are the size of APS-C cameras. Half frame almost.

So will the 4/3's. They will be in your pocket before you know it.
Next years big little thing.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY