Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Mar 8 04:37:15 2007

I do not believe the 4/3 system was ever claimed to be more compact,
just allowed the lenses to be designed to be appropriate for digital
sensors. The explanation I read many years ago was that lenses,
particularly WA lenses, would have to be much larger for a given
image area than lenses for film. This seems plausible, look how huge
a 35 f1.4 lens for a SLR (which has an exit pupil much further from
the film) is than a 35mm f1.4 rangefinder lens. The 4/3 system was
designed with a lens throat diameter big enough to allow this. In
order to use the same digital optimised lens designs on a sensor as
big as 35mm film would require a lens mount diameter almost twice as
big as the current EOS lens mount.
No lenses designed for film are entirely suited to digital sensors,
it is just a question of how whether the shortcomings are entirely
negligible or are acceptable to a user. The 4/3 system seeks to avoid
the optical problems but  has the shortcomings of a smaller sensor.
There is nothing about the 4/3 system which would lead to smaller
lenses - faster lenses with less compromise and smaller bodies are
possible.
Frank