Subject: [Leica] 25mm f/1.4 "normal" 4/3's lens hits (Olympus)
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Mar 8 22:05:04 2007

>The trend for DSLR cameras clearly goes to bigger sensors, not
>because of the backward compatibility to older lenses, but because
>they deliver better quality than smaller ones - period.

Yep, just like the trend in computers is to bigger cases! And bigger
memory boards. And bigger cable connectors. Good grief, what is thing
with SIZE?! Sensors are cramming more and better pixels into the same
size, just as bytes are stuffed into ever smaller memory chips every
year. What is so magical about a 35mm digital frame size? Absolutely NOTHING!

FourThirds is the revolution, and I joined it almost a year ago. The
Olympus E-Volt 330 camera should be called the Re-Volt One, it is
that significant in the history of photography. Panasonic is trying
(along with Leica?) but their 4/3 body is too chunky and clunky. Plus
it does not have the tilt-screen live view LCD. The 330 is smaller
and handles more closely to an M. I did not say LIKE an M, just
better than the Panasonic body that makes even a Leica M5 seem
downright tiny. If you were raised on M's like I was, then the E-330
is like a new friend in a tradition of phototgraphic creativity that
has leaped so far over Canon and Nikon  that most people don't even
seem to realize it yet.

I hope Leica can sincerely join FourThirds in their old tradition of
excellence. But they need to think WAY outside the M or R box,
literally and figuratively. The 25mm 1.4 may be a step in that
direction. However, the lens does seem very large for a prime lens,
and I was hoping for something for the E-330 more the size of my old
chrome M Summilux 50. I hope there will be a way to try the new Leica
lens next month.

In the meantime, I'll keep shooting my Leica/Olympus kit - two
E-330's, Leica 70-180/2.8 Vario-Elmarit, 2x APO extender,
14-54/2.8-3.5 Zuiko and 7-14/4 Zuiko. In 35mm terms, that's an almost
continuous lens range of 14mm-720mm, all in one little LowePro 200
bag.( http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2006_11_01.htm )

After thousands of miles cross-country and thousands of feet altitude
for journalistic, commercial. landscape and aerial photography, that
setup has been the most amazing sidekick of any camera kit I've ever
used. My photos from the E-330 have been published on covers and
calendars; newspaper front pages; numerous websites; Coast Guard
public relations; aerial photos for hotels, water treatment plants
and engineering studies; and a year long contract to document a
multi-million dollar theater interior restoration. Not bad for a
little upstart camera.

The sad fact to report is that almost two years ago, I showed a Leica
rep the little pre-cursor to the E-330, the brilliantly engineered
Olympus C-8080 8-megapixel with a lens that would easily do justice
to Leica optics. He looked down his nose and said. "That is not an
M." Well I should hope not! And the E-330 is not a slide rule or a
mechanical adding machine or a black and white TV or a two lane
highway or any one of a thousand other things that were current in
1954. The most amazing photographic future is here - right now. My
biggest concern is how to stay creatively ahead of so many
photographers who will discover the E-330 and see their own boost in
artistic creativity. So far I've got the drop on them by a few months
time and, obviously, a truck load of passion about a camera that I
believe will be as historically significant as the M3 was over 50 years ago.

I've said a lot more about the Olympus E-330 at and how I've used it
with adapted Leica R lenses at:
http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm

Best regards,
Gary Todoroff