Subject: [Leica] RE: Results of April 2007 LUG photo contest
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu May 3 16:32:35 2007

David, I don't think that is an effective critique.  I'm sure that you have
good photo credentials, as do the winners, honourable
mentions and the judges. I don't know what criteria the judges use, but it's
very likely that each has their own. It's very good of
them to do the job for us, and of course Brian makes it possible and
coordinates the judging presumably.
Another factor is that the entries have diverse content. I have no idea how
you can rank say flowers against birds, abstracts,
portraits etc etc.
Because I think we will all benefit from critiques here, I offer my opinions
(just on the winners) to any group discussion. I did
see quite a few pictures that I would be proud to claim as my own amongst
the others. Some rankings did surprise me, but it does get
us thinking and that has to be good.

I see Montie's picture as a minimalist abstract with strong design and
technically well done. For me it didn't have great impact or
"wow" if you like. I don't understand how his title relates to the image.
"Lest we forget" for me conjures a Flanders poppy but that
may be just my local cultural frame of reference.

Steve's "hot lips" does have impact. Technically properly done but its
strength comes from the subject, but then seeing that and
making the image is what is to Steve's credit.

Jeff's "Kristy prep" I see as a very polished and professional image. I
really admire the lighting and the timing of the attending
hands' positions. I don't know about the page visible behind Kristy's head.
My instinct might have been to remove it. Maybe it
suggests a script or instructions though?

Cheers
Hoppy