Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Wed May 23 20:06:21 2007

Bob - the problem with a simple Windows file-to-file backup (as in
dragging and dropping all your folders to the backup drive), is that
you can't restart the process where it left off if something goes
wrong. One corrupted file will halt the whole Windows Explorer file
transfer process.

For several years on my PC's, I have been very happy backing up (and
even happier when the restore has worked fine on a couple of
occasions) using the free shareware program, XXCOPY. It uses a
straight-forward DOS command line. I am also able to span the backup
across multiple backup disks, so make good use out of an assortment
of leftover and/or cheap 120,160 and 250GB IDE hard drives that I put
into removable tray caddies. The backup copy is a standard Windows
set of folders, just like the source files. I can post or send the
XXCOPY batch files if anyone is interested.

The other tool is another freeware program, "Solway's Task
Scheduler". I use it to do an automatic backup every day using
XXCOPY. It only backs up the files that have been added or changed
since the last full backup to the removable hard drives. Those
incremental files go on a self-contained 120GB hard drive that sits
on top of the computer. The full backup hard drives go to my
daughter's house for offsite storage.

The actual photo files are all on a Windows PC using RAID5 that
stores files redundantly. When (not if) one of the four drives fails,
no data is lost. I keep a spare drive in the case that will
automatically be reconfigured into the broken array. The RAID will be
back to full health after about a day of rewriting the array.

After running a computer time-sharing business for many years with a
dozen or more businesses depending on their data, I am very religious
about backup.

Gary Todoroff