Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu May 24 16:49:14 2007

Bob, Gary is correct. He is describing the normal process of a number of
files queued to be copied. If one file fails to copy none
further will be copied until you intervene. So yes you can start again but
it is not automated.
With Retrospect, if you select an incremental back up, files that are no
longer present in the parent directory will be deleted from
the back up copy. However you are not obliged to use that particular method.
You can too, have multiple versions of a folder or back
up. There is also an option to verify the integrity of back up copies.

Frankly I am not confident in my ability to use Retrospect to restore an
entire system onto a new drive. There are complexities with
my PCs regarding having to have drivers present with SATA drives and RAID
controllers. I don't even have floppy drives fitted
routinely. They are required to load the drivers for Windows to even
recognise that there is a HDD present. Typically, I treat the
back up as a dumb duplicate of my C drive, that is all of the files are
there. A reinstall is still a huge PITA but at least I have
all of the files. This is lazy I suppose. Not enough hours in the day, I'm
twelve months behind just filing film!

Cheers
Hoppy