Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Thu May 24 05:58:03 2007

Thanks for the responses.

Hoppy, the Western Digital MyBook (at least the version I am looking at,
there are several) does come with Retrospect Express. I didn't realize
you could set it to do non-compressed backups.  That would be good, I think.

Gary, when you write:

> the problem with a simple Windows file-to-file backup (as in
> dragging and dropping all your folders to the backup drive), is that
> you can't restart the process where it left off if something goes
> wrong. One corrupted file will halt the whole Windows Explorer file
> transfer process

I would then ask: If you have a bad file can't you then just re-start
the copying process, or am I missing something?  I should point out that
I won't be doing huge backups at any one time; by that I mean probably
copying less than 10GB.

And a related question about these programs that do incremental backups:
  if I (intentionally or not) delete an image file from a directory,
when the backup program is looking for new or modified files to add to
the backup will it delete from the backup the file I have deleted from
my computer?

Thanks all.  I know this subject gets repeated from time to time but it
is an important one I think, particularly for us relative computer
neophytes.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)