Subject: [Leica] eBay & Paypal
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Jun 19 00:39:46 2007

Salut Robert,

I belong to the sellers which declare to accept Paypal only for
international transactions. I also prefer it as buyer. The reasons are
various:

- Paypal = fast payment = immediate shipping (and leading to a positive
feedback for quick payment or quick delivery)

- intl. money orders and checks can turn into a nightmare if you don't find
an institution (bank, post) in your country which will refund it, or refund
it without an exaggerated fee.

- Money orders can take a lot of time. Once I sent a postal MO from
Switzerland to Wyoming, it took 10 weeks to arrive there, forcing me to send
a lot of appeasing mails to the seller who thought I'm a non-payer. Never
again.

- Bank wire transfers can cost a lot - depending from where to where they go
- IBAN is only free inside EU but otherwise rather costly. There's a high
fixed fee on low amounts, and a high percentage fee on large amounts. Every
bank has another fee/pricing policiy, which is often not visible before you
do the transaction.

- Sending cash in insured letters is russian roulette. I have given up this
option since an enveloppe arrived open and empty.

Having a good feedback profile is more than welcome. I have cancelled dozens
of bids from buyers with doubtable profiles. But reading and accepting the
payment options of a seller is another obligatory requirement fo a buyer.
Your feedback profile won't stay perfect when you bid on Paypal-only
auctions and then want to negociate the payment methods afterwards. You'll
get negatives like "Did not read the payment options".

Since a buyer does not have to pay Paypal fees, and can use it without
credit card (by uploading money from his bank account), I don't see any
reason why Paypal should not be reasonable for most buyers.

Bad Paypal reputation? That sounds a bit diffuse. There certainly are issues
with the Paypal seller and buyer protection rules, and Paypal accounts with
too simple passwords have been phished in the past (but does anyone have
compassion for people using passwords like "abcd"?)... Personally, after
approximately 600 Paypal transactions, I have never been involved in any
trouble, but others LUGgers might have been. I don't want to say Paypal is
hasslefree and without risk, but it's 100x more convenient than checks and
MO's.

Best regards
Didier

Replies: Reply from jcyleung8 at shaw.ca (Joe Leung) ([Leica] eBay & Paypal)