Subject: [Leica] Quilters
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jun 24 12:34:30 2007

Sonny Carter showed:

>>>My mother was a quilter, her mother and  her grandmother were as well.<<<

Hi Sonny,
You triggered wonderful memories for me when I was a boy living with family
on a farm during the depression near London, Ontario, Canada.

As I re-call the ladies of a church group would come to the huge farm house
and make quilts every Thursday morning. They'd all be around a big wooden
frame with cloth tied to it. Then ladies sat around sewing on cloth squares,
as you say, from every conceivable type of material. Once the top part was
completed they, I think it was, turned it over and lay something like a
cotton batten over it and then begin to sew another cover into the whole
thing completing the quilt.

They were eventually given to folks who couldn't afford to even buy used
cloth to make their own bedding. Memories like this give one a warmth of how
simple, clean and joyful the "olden days" were. Even though we never had a
lot ourselves we always seemed to share with others.

But folks always seemed to be able to help others without all the "what's in
it for me nonsense" of today. Not only that, but people worked together and
didn't always go on with the bull shit nonsense " where's the government
people with my food, water and housing!" And do that while sitting on their
asses waiting for someone else to do it without lifting a finger to help
themselves.

Sorry it kind of got twisted off the "quilting" Good set of pictures Sonny.

ted