Subject: [Leica] Summarit Press Release
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Aug 6 11:00:49 2007

At 11:09 AM -0400 8/6/07, Leonard Taupier wrote:
>Bob,
>
>Some prices were listed on the LUF from some shop in Europe. At this
>point we don't know how accurate these prices are since the release
>dates for the lenses are about 4 months away. What was quoted for
>the 35, 75 and 90mm as 1250 Euros and the 50 as 1000 Euros. I did an
>on line conversion and it worked out to be $1723 and $1378. That
>sounds like it's in the ballpark to the new 28mm Asph.
>
>I certainly don't know why they chose Summarit for a name either.
>Nothing in the new lenses compares to the old lens. The lens
>aperture, the number of elements and even the color is different. I
>like the sound of the name though.
>
>I have a 1.5 Summarit as well. It is so well made, a thing of
>beauty. I used mine last week and don't recall a focusing issue.
>Maybe I'm lucky. It does flare pretty easily though. A hood outdoors
>is a must. The Summarit hood is a little rare and pricey but a thing
>of beauty as well.
>
>Len

They should've gone with Hektor, and kept the aperture/naming
tradition alive at least to some extent. A good name that is now
unused and that relates to previous f/2.5 lenses.

The Summarit name has only been used on P&S camera lenses in recent
years, so I don't know why they would want to relate the new line to
those.

It seems strange to offer the focal lengths that they do in the new
line, when what they really need are some cost effective short
lenses. An 18 and/or 24/4 would be in real demand.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Summarit Press Release)