Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Wed Aug 8 12:22:36 2007

Mark,

I recorded this data about three years ago. I believe it was from
Photodo. They have since removed this data. New management I think.

Lens                                    f2.8            f4.0            f8.0
           Rating

Canon EF 50/1.8         77              81              85              4.2

Contax Planar 50/1.7    78              86              88              4.6

Leica Summicron 50/2.0  81              85              87              4.6

Nikon AF 50/1.8         78              83              86              4.4

These are resolution numbers. In this focal length nearly all lenses
made are old designs and very similar. The differences are glass
types and manufacturing tolerances.

Last week I ran resolutions tests on seven Leica 50mm lenses. They
were the 3.5 Elmar, Summarit, Summitar, Summicron Collapsible,
Summicron Rigid #1, current Summicron and Noctilux. The lens with the
highest resolution was the Summicron Rigid #1 made in 1958. However
it wasn't the sharpest. Most of the lenses had very similar
resolution numbers. The difference was contrast. The current
Summicron was by far the sharpest of all. The contrast was easily the
best. I would have included my 50mm Summilux Asph but it's at Leica,
NJ being coded. It's better then the Summicron. At some point after
1958 Leica started optimizing their lenses for contrast, not resolution.

I have 3 of the 4 lenses from the Photodo test. I see the Leica as
the best. And the proof is in the photos, not the test charts.

I know. I have a lot of time on my hands. But I'm an engineer and
this is what I do when I'm not taking photos. It's relaxing.

Len