Subject: [Leica] M8 Kaput!
From: cummer at netvigator.com (cummer@netvigator.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 20:49:44 2007

Hello Luggers,
I was down on a neighbour's dock this evening in Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
taking a lake panorama with my M8 on a tripod when the camera seized up. In
the view finder it reads "Error" at the bottom of the finder and on the LCD
at the back there is a dual message "Attention: Drive Blocked" and then
"Attention Shutter Fault". When you take the lens off and look at the
shutter - you can see that it hasn't cycled through as the white stripe on
the shutter curtain isn't visible. I have had the battery out for a few
hours and that hasn't produced any change.
Anybody have any suggestions? Hitting it with a hammer? Shall I bundle it up
and just send it off to Stephen Lee in Solms? This is very inconvenient
because I am in Canada and am certain I won't get the camera back before
returning to Hong Kong. Any suggestions to affect an in-the-field repair are
welcomed.
Cheers,
Howard (grumpy in Muskoka and thinking about becoming a Nikon digital
photographer again)

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] M8 Kaput!)