Subject: [Leica] Technical Question: Microphotography
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Sep 18 17:58:28 2007

Others have discussed this in detail and have
pointed out a lot of really solid thoughts.

I would avoid the use of enlarging lenses or
reversed normal photography lenses as these
involve optical compromises which are
unacceptable to quality work.  I would avoid the
use of any SLR which lacks mirror lock-up.  And
there are workarounds to the use of flash -- the
prime condition is to take microphotography
pictures under open shade as inside a garage with
the door open or under a tree or the like.

Someone stated that Photars and other
microphotography lenses are hard to find.  This
is bosh:  follow eBay for a month and there are a
zillion of them for sale, often at discounted
prices.  Back in the day, we paid $750 or so for
them but, thanks to eBay, I can score these on
occasion for under $100 and have bought several
for $20.  Are they worth it?  Zheezh!  Of course
they are if you want the best:  Photars,
Luminars, Microtars, and the llike are the
absolute best.  Nikon and Rodenstock also made
outstanding micro lenses.  And there is the
really solid 4/60 Staeble-Katagon marketed by Novoflex.

My own recommendation would be to use a
Hasselblad 2000/200 series camera with bellows
and a suitable Photar or Luminar.  At today's
discounted prices, the rig can be had for
relative peanuts compared to what we would have
paid two decades ago.  Shoot with chrome
film:  there are few things as stunning as an MF
slide of a microphotograph projected onto a screen.

In the alternative, an M6 and Visoflex IIa or III
and Bellows II would do almost as well.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!