Subject: [Leica] Getting into Leica
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Tue Oct 23 13:44:35 2007

If it's a Leica RF or bust...buy a used M6, which is in my opinion the
workhorse and value-leader of the line for those not needing better flash
sync (-> M6 TTL) or AE (-> M7).  It might be worth considering a purchase
from the for-sale section of one of the RF fan sites like
rangefinderforum.com, especially if you see a camera ad mentioning the
so-called "flare free" retrofit (which isn't, but it helps...this comment is
likely to stir up some discussion...as anticipatory disclosure, one of my
M6s has had the retrofit, one hasn't, which tells you that I'm ambivalent
about its utility).
Have you read this page? http://www.butzi.net/reviews/leicam6.htm
Having said all that and with a +35 year history of not being able to get
away from Leica Ms, though I've tried twice, you could do worse than splice
an FM2 nor FM3a onto your Nikon gear, if you like the lenses.  FM3a prices
are ridiculously overheated right now, but it is a great camera and less
than a used M6.  My personal opinion on the FE2 is that it's a nice camera
but they're all getting quite long in the tooth and many repair parts are no
longer available.  F3s are a bargain and not much bigger than the FM/FE
family, but for ME they're a pain (the LCD is too small and poorly
illuminated for low light work).
If a Leica SLR is a choice, the R4-R5-R6 family is a lot more compact than
your F5, not much bigger than an FM/FE body.  They don't get a lot of
respect, but other than the early R4 production they're quite good cameras
and they do mount the Leica R lenses, many of which are really excellent.
Lots of ways to skin this one...good luck.
John Newell