Subject: [Leica] Changing eyes, M focusing
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Nov 7 13:57:09 2007

I use a +0.5 on my M8 and it made a great improvement (need to get
another for the M6TTL .58).

I also use progressive bifocals. Once the eyes start to go
(change ;~) I've never found a good solution for all photographic
situations. The eye level cameras are all set up to function best
without the glasses. That works well while shooting. However, as soon
as I want to check something on the camera - I better have the specs
near by. So I'm in the constant on and off mode most of the time
during a session. Quick grab shots are often accomplished with the
glasses on if time doesn't allow for removal (I live with the glasses
on when not doing serious photography).

Adjusting the cameras to function for eyeglass use just doesn't cut
it for me - too many air-glass surfaces - specs get too dirty too
quick - too much distance between the eye and viewfinder, etc.

With view cameras it's a loupe and the glasses on and off. I remember
clearly the day and the assignment when I discovered the aging eyes
syndrome. I was backed into a corner for a tight interior shot with
the 4x5 Technika. I couldn't back my head up to focus - FOR THE FIRST
TIME. I thought I was going blind - a moment of real panic.
Apparently I'd been compensating for the previous couple years. But
this situation made it crystal blurry that the 40's would put specs
on my face.

Aging is a PIA, a pain in the back and a pain in the knees, et al.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Changing eyes, M focusing)