Subject: [Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 11 14:18:16 2007

> Hey Mark. I'll give it a try on my D2X. I can set my ISO to step in
> 1/3 stop increments. That's a pretty fine adjustment. My concern was
> on a camera like the M8 which has ISO adjustments in full stops only.
> Also the noise performance is not as good as I like at the higher
> settings. Since I can hand hold wide angle lenses down to 1/15 sec on
> any M camera, I prefer to try that rather then have the camera bump
> up the ISO to something above ISO 640 (1280 ?). The Nikon is between
> 100 and 800. As I mentioned I probably wouldn't have a problem with
> the Canon 5D or the two new Nikons when they come out.
>
> Len

Auto settings tend to fill in the cracks. You might have half or third stop
settings by hand but on an A setting gives you 126th of a second at f5.7.
That's one of the things I first liked about auto settings. A kind of
thrilling precision..
I shot full manual for a decade before I had any A setting.
The first A setting I ever used was the color modes on a Vivitar 283 flash.
I could not believe I'd be so low as to do this.
But I saw all kinds of top pros whose shoes I was not entitled to tie (or
lick) doing it. So I figured I'd give it the old college try. It sure
worked. And that was before TTL flash!

Auto ISO would not be firmware upgrade for the M8 I don't think.
That would be in the too good to be true category would be my bet.

I think when they take the bugs out of the M8 so there is no longer a thing
with the filters they'll call it something different.
An M8db
for dee bugged.

No, an M8.5

Maybe not