Subject: [Leica] Epson printers: No more aftermarket cartridges?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Nov 11 14:53:55 2007

Oversimplified summary (and I'm not a lawyer): The ITC has ruled that
aftermarket ink cartridges and chips violate Epson's U.S. patents. A cease
and desist order has been issued. So U.S. companies that have been selling
the carts must stop doing so. That includes MIS. The issue is under
"Presidential review," and the President could ask for it to be amended or
not sign it.  While the issue is under review, the cease and desist order
applies, and there is a per-cartridge monetary remedy for violation.

There is some speculation that the ITC ruling, if it holds, will apply not
just to carts, but to CIS systems and anything else that puts ink into the
printer.  The major target of the Epson legal action appears to be the
flood of cheap carts and ink from China, but those of us who use Epson
printers for specialized B&W printing methods are also affected.
"Collateral damage," you might say.

Fortunately, there are still sources overseas from which individuals may
purchase the needed carts. Paul Roark says that users of the 1800 and 2400
especially should be OK because there are a lot of cartridges floating
around.  MIS says they will continue to sell ink.  So save your old carts
and chips, and you can keep refilling. These two posts sum things up--read
the second message carefully for Paul's take on the long-term aspect of
things.

The situation is in flux.  There is a lot of confusion right now as to what
is really going to happen, and who is affected to what extent.  So stay
tuned.  The place where most of the discussion is going on is the Digital
B&W group on Yahoo.  Be prepared to tune out a lot of political diatribe,
but the information from some of the prime movers of digital B&W printing
is good.  There is also a letter-writing campaign to Congress, the
President, and other regulators.  Paul has a sample letter on his Web site.

Here's a link to the group's home page:

If you want to read the ITC's ruling in glorious legalese,  go here:
http://searchapp.usitc.gov/edis3/app
Enter the number 565 in the search box and click GO.  The most recent
ruling is at the top of the list.

I should disclose my bias:  I use an Epson R1800 with MIS Eboni ink for B&W
printing. I've always used Epson inks for color.  I am not thinking very
nice thoughts towards Epson this afternoon.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Epson printers: No more aftermarket cartridges?)