Subject: [Leica] Forget Prius, buy a bike
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri Nov 16 14:16:32 2007

Hybrid car concepts: We need a new Einstein to solve this problem.

The hybrid electro/fuel cars are only a small technological step. Using
electricity to move a vehicle with the weight of a ton or two, is,
thermodynamically seen, as stupid as burning petrol for the same purpose.

If the electric power that charged the car battery is produced by a
coal-burning power plant (which is often the case in Europe), the ecological
balance is hardly better than with a fuel-only driven engine. Burning coal
to produce electric power, storing the power in a battery, and then using it
to drive a heavy vehicle means a loss of about 97-99% of the original energy
the coal had into (0% would be the Perpetuum Mobile, but scientists are
already delighted with 75% loss of energy only).

The car industry's aim to produce hybrid cars is only partially
ecology-driven. It's more the petrol-dependence with raising oil prices and
decreasing oil sources that keeps them dancing. Burning biologically
produced marsh gas isn't much better.

But, if there's no new Einstein, we can meanwhile use bicycles, and public
transports (which, unfortunately, are not everywhere so well developped and
punctual like in my country).

I've bought quite some cars, motorcycles and bycicles in my life, but I was
never as excited as last monday when I ordered my new mountainbike, a full
suspended Commen?al Meta 4.1, model 2007 (now going with 30% deduction). The
most gorgeous bike I ever had. Fast, agile, light. French engineering with
japanese parts, assembled in Andorra. Looks like this:
http://www.yodabikes.fr/tests/meta4.1.jpg

Cheers
Didier

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Forget Prius, buy a bike)