Subject: [Leica] Ok - How do I fake Northern light window box?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Dec 16 20:33:28 2007

Eric, unless you are shooting BW the colour from that is very likely to be
well off. Also very likely to lose way too much light
that way.
The pro solution is a really big brolly like the Octa size, you need a light
source to match. You can get the shoot through material
in collapsible panel reflector sets.. It may not be an improvement on your
current brolly though.
As Mike said, the bigger source the better if you are after the most
diffuse, even light.

My low tech solution is just find a real window! A white reflector for fill.
Yes not as convenient as a studio setup
Doing it this way you can see the effect of course and if want to be
scientific (and of course you want the best control) you can
meter to your heart's desire and adjust the ratio as you please.
Recent examples from my first play with this here:
<http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e>
Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but all of those classical painters
must have known something!

Cheers
Geoff