Subject: [Leica] Traveling abroad with film
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Dec 16 20:55:58 2007

Forrest, I don't think you can get an accurate answer that applies
everywhere. Each airport and system is likely to be different.
How the particular operator uses the machine can vary.
I can only state specifics from my experience.
Over the last two years, at domestic and international terminals in
Australia, and recently in Narita, Amsterdam and Barcelona, I
have never had visible damage to unused or exposed film up to 400 ISO in my
CARRY ON bag.
Typically my bag will get an extra pass due to the high metal content of
Leica cameras! I have never had a hand inspection. I would
not rely on that option being available to you in all places.
It certainly is possible for film to be damaged or ruined by x-ray. Should
you come into conflict or under suspicion by an operator,
the possibility of damage may well increase. Others have reported film
ruined or damaged in these circumstances.

Don't forget to post some pictures after your trip.

Cheers, Geoff
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/