Subject: [Leica] IMG: New look
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Dec 21 14:56:13 2007

I believe that the proper application of plug in filters and fx
qualifies as an art unto itself, both in commercial illustration and
film fx.
The "best" examples of the use of the vast variety of possibilities
in Photoshop and film fx come from people who really "feel" their usage.
A couple examples came up in our "cutting edge" discussion; where the
effect truly enriches what the illustrator is feeling and trying to say.
I suspect that in the best cases, they're shooting with effect in
mind. I know that's true in film.
In general, applying effects after the fact, to save or "improve" an
image ends up looking forced rather than looking like a viable style.

All that said, I admire your moxy to have a go at the commercial market.
I'd advise you to select a look (filter) that you have an affinity
with. Play with it. And shoot new images (or find in your stock)
subjects, lighting and angles that really speak of a need for that
"look."

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com