Subject: [Leica] Blurb buzzed; gamut tips?
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sun Dec 30 13:47:12 2007

2007-12-30-03:01:41 G Hopkinson:
> The BookSsmart software help also links to the ICC profile for the HP
> printer used by Blurb printers. So you can soft-proof. However
> note that Blurb says it does not honor profiles in uploaded pictures.
> Should get you close though.

I think I may be trying too hard.  I want stuff to look good in printed
form, so (per this article)

  http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1014&message=21636659

  http://www.bonsai-photography.com/blurb-color-management.pdf

I'm converting to sRGB then soft-proofing with the HP Indigo 5000
profile plugged in.  Then I'm just horrified to see that all the blacks
are now grey, and most of the darker or redder bits of a photo are
out-of-gamut.  And it's not clear how to massage the photo so as to give
a subjectively-good result within that gamut.  (I expect it's the same
skill I *should* have developed by now to print my damn' pictures here
at home.)

If I convert a photo into the HP 5000 colorspace (which is CMYK), I can
generally find at least one rendering-intent flavor which looks good on
my monitor;  but is there some way to do that conversion, clip the image
to that gamut, then convert back to RGB and sRGB?  Or is that a totally
wrongheaded, terribly lossy approach?

In the meantime, of course, my pictures are piling up to be part of the
last-minute deluge Jim gets, which I'm not so proud of.

Sigh.

By the way, another datapoint (which Jim can correct, if he wishes): if
he keeps with the same layout as last year, it's a full-bleed rendition
of the left-page picture of your spread, but the right-page picture
tends to be limited to (my measurement; Jim may be more precise) 5-1/4"
high, leaving room for both pictures' captions.  So you'll want to
choose and scale pictures accordingly, I assume.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Blurb buzzed; gamut tips?)
Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Blurb buzzed)
Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Blurb buzzed)