Subject: [Leica] Question: M8
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin@afirkin.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 18:05:52 2007

Hi Sandy, welcome back. I have an M8 and love using it, but its not a
perfect camera. The IR problem is real and does need filters on the lenes if
you want to take colour images. That said, the images it produces are
certainly wonderful: I used it on my trip to Italy, many of the images can
be seen on our web site afirkin.com

The big advantage: you get to use your M lenes in an M fashion, and the
digital output is very high resolution

The downers: its noisy compared with other M's, its a bit heavy (my little
finger aches when I use if for prolonged sessions like the recent wedding
images I put up), the magnification factor means the wides are
"down-graded", its great with the Tri-elmars, but they have stopped making
them, others complain of the white balance: I do all that later anyway, so
Ihave not been troubled, mine has had to make 2 trips "home" to Solms, you
really do need to use the IR filters though I did not have them in Italy,
the frames are too conservative and so you do tend to "waste" pixels when
framing the image: I"m getting used to the later.

Is it worth the money: probably not really, but its the best way to keep
shooting M in the digital age, and the next one will only be more
expensive!!!

Cheers and happy new year

Alastair