Subject: [Leica] IMG: Original scans
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Jan 2 18:05:45 2008

Tina, I wouldn't presume to talk about marketing or photography to you, but
maybe I can add something to the scanning discussion.
It seems like there are three issues with the scans, firstly the density of
the kodachromes and then the contrast and colour
palette. I don't have experience with Lasersoft, the other two I do.
I have gone back to the Nikon software over the Vuescan despite speed
advantages in the other. With Velvia and Provia I almost
always have to increase the master gain by .3 to .5 to get detail from the
darks. I think this is where you need to start, watching
the histogram for each channel for clipping. Your scanner and the latest
digital ICE should even support dust removal from
Kodachrome. Digital ICE4 advanced? then enable post processing for digital
ROC. For a couple of old Kodachromes I tried it worked
miracles to the colour. The DEE may well be worth a try too. I wouldn't
bother with too much multi-sampling, noise isn't the issue
is it?
Then work on the contrast, then the palette. I would be trying those only in
PS. Once you get something workable you can copy that
layer to the others, as you know. In my opinion you may not get to the
modern look you sound like you are seeking from these, but
you certainly need to extract the information from the shadows without
clipping the highlights before you can do any other
manipulation. Pardon me if I am repeating things with which you are very
familiar. Also sorry about the acronyms to others without
the Nikon software.
best of luck with it all.
Cheers
Geoff