Subject: [Leica] Summarit Reviews
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 12 14:18:28 2008

> BTW, in his results, Erwin's like the Summarits.....  and for 40-50% of the
> cost of the Summicrons, they do shine, especially compared to used
> equipment.  Personally, I think that the Summarits are competing not with
> new Summicrons, but used ones.... after all, a person that has $5400 to
> plunk down on a M8 body has a few thousand more to get top notch lenses.
> It
> is us cheapskates ( PC term.. financially challenged)  that buy used that
> they are trying to reel in.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

I remember the Hasselblad lens B line that lasted about two years.
First of all bad PR they would not say what the "B" stood for.
That left it up to our imaginations
So it was a tossup between "bad" and "budget" or "bumblebunny".
THEY would never confirm or deny anything. Just mumbled something under
their breaths in Swedish And the crowd stayed away in droves the idea of a
cheap classy ever so slightly cheaper than ridiculously expensive Zeiss
lens. And if they wanted so save a few bucks they bought a full bore used
one. With no "B" on it.  For B Movie.
So we learn from that lesson by going out and doing it ourselves  deja Vue
all over again only we say what the S stands for  - Summarit.
Echoing a nondescript and not so great point in Leica history.

I'm hoping this Summarit phase passes quickly and as painlessly as possible
like an anestitized kidney stone so we can get back into the business of
making glass which makes all the little lines real sharp and  on the rims of
which are great buzzwords like "APO" and "ASPH" and  "SO'S YOUR OLD MAN!".
And cost more than a years postal service wages in Montreal.
I've gotten quite used to the idea of "high finance" when it comes to buying
a new focal length for my Leica. Most glass took a year in the making for me
to lay my hands on. Or waiting.  Saving. I'm not looking at my next new
focal length which would have to be a 75 as something I'm going to get on a
whim to make my next project or job spunkier.

I'd love using that 75 APO on a Leica M9 full frame digital camera.
What will probably happen is I'll get a Zeiss or Voigtl?nder Branded crop
body made by our friends at Cosina.
I'd love it if it said "Zeiss" in front of it. And was shiny. And had
slightly squared off edges.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com