Subject: [Leica] Blog
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Jan 20 16:37:46 2008

At 03:54 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

>And I also consider my 135mm to be a very useful focal length for my M
>system.

Thanks, Mark.  I'll probably take mine, too.

>My 35 is the Summicron ASPH
>My 75 I don't have. Someday but I think the new small one.

The 75/1.4 is one of my favorite lenses.

>Its history which hasn't gotten around to happening yet.
>21 and 24 ASPH's big but basic pieces of  enabling gear for me.
>They were expensive but when I reach into my camera bag for one a little
>voice does not cry out asking for more money.
>You'd bring 2 35's!!?

Yes!  I like the 35/1.4 for low-light B&W
photos.  The 35/2 ASPH is the absolute best lens for color that I have.

>The 50/1.0 Noctilux I'm with you on as well of course. A Leica edge.
>And my 90 is the new one but I kept my old one which is the Elmarit current.

Mine is actually the 2.0.  I typed that wrong.  I
don't often use it wide open, but it is still a great lens.

>If you were buying stuff now would half your stuff be Cosina Voigtl?nder and
>Cosina Zeiss?

Absolutely not!  The only reason I buy Leica
bodies is to be able to use Leica lenses!  I
bought the Voigtlander - actually 12 and not 15 -
to experiment with ultra-wide angles not
available from Leica.  It's really a specialty
lens that requires lots of light.  It's tiny
enough that I can carry it just in case I might
need a really wide angle.  But I have no plans to
buy any other lens that is not a Leica.

When I compare what I get with Leica lenses with
even the best Canon L lenses, there is no
contest.  I do like the auto-focus as I get
older, but I have to spend much more time
correcting distortion, fringing, aberrations,
etc. with the Canon lenses.  You get what you pay for, I guess.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com