Subject: [Leica] Shutter speeds -- Leica Announcement (?) - No M9 this year; M8 Upgrade
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Wed Jan 30 16:34:06 2008

The ability of photographers to hand-hold at slow speeds is vastly
over-rated. Or else those "rock-steady" guys only print up to 4x6
inch prints. Ninety percent of the reason I use Leica optics is
because I can shoot them wide open. If I want *really* sharp, then I
stop them down maybe half a stop. Having seen the effects of
helicopter vibration even with the Hasselblad lens top speed of
1/500th, I'm not optimistic about sharpness at slower speeds (Why I
use a gyro-stabilizer for aerial photos). Below 1/250, I'm always
looking for posts, walls, tables, garbage cans, anything to brace me
and the camera. If that fast lens allows me a faster shutter speed,
all the better.  When I see photographs that did not need depth of
field shot at f8 and 1/60th, I shudder. Usually, so did the
photographer - a $2000 lens capable of tack-sharp, and an image
blurred by a slow shutter speed. Crazy!

The main reason I am so passionate about the Olympus E-330 is the
Live View flip screen that allows me in dim light to brace the camera
in all kinds of places where I would never be able to get my head
behind the optical finder. See example of in-flight cockpit interior at:
http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2007_02_17.htm

http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2008_01_09.htm also shows what
a fine combination the E-330 and 50/1.4 Summilux-R make in dim light.

Once in awhile, I need d-o-f  and f22 -
http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2006_12_31.htm
see last photograph on page. But that's what tripods are for. Right, Ted?

Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Shutter speeds -- Leica Announcement (?) - No M9 this year; M8 Upgrade)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Leica Announcement (?) - No M9 this year; M8 Upgrade)