Subject: [Leica] On Both Sides
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jan 31 11:32:10 2008

>From the first moment your print or neg or slide dries after processing it
is deteriorating. Its never the same. And always worse than it was the last
time your printed it. Or looked at it.
But if its black and white film stored well it maybe highly incremental but
still.... Its there. Its oxidizing or otherwise turning to dust just like we
all are.
How fresh was that fix?
How cold was that wash:
Worry. Lots of variables. Lots of things to worry about.

Digital information though does not in any way no matter how much enlarger
light you try to shoot through it deteriorate.
It prints just as well in the year 2525 as it did in 2001.

Where will YOUR NEGS BE in the year 2525? And what condition will they be
in?
Do I have nostalgia for things which are fading? Sure- But I have more
feelings for the imagery I'm creating now which is here to stay.  Stuck in
time. More serious.
Makes me try harder.
Seems like less baloney.
And I have it right here. Its not in a storage bin in Portland OR.

Digital is very enabling.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: On Both Sides now how long will it last)