Subject: [Leica] On Both Sides (Take Lightly) NOW EXPLANATION?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jan 31 21:29:02 2008

>>> I suppose if someone is dinking around over a weekend with money to burn
for film and processing, stick to film.<<<

If this is the considered comment referred to as :

>>I have no idea who said this. but it reeks of elitism, snobbery, and
insensitivity.<<

I suppose it was me who's about as far away from a person considered an
"elite  snob and insensitive."

I absolutely abhor those who are snobs, who flaunt their wealth and so
called status of position in society and wouldn't have the emotional
sensitivity to cry at the sound of The Last Post! Damn it! I do every time
I've heard it! So I'm hardly one to fit the description.

I'm sure I know what created the unfortunate re-action?

The use of one word.. "dinking."

I suppose I could have said, "playing, fiddling, weekend warrior" or other
reference to a person who plays with photography on the weekend. Someone who
shoots but a few rolls or so. But buying, shooting, processing film and
printing even a few rolls per session on a long run basis. Yes, it will cost
you more than digital whether you believe it or not.

First of all most folks in this category already have a computer and a
printer so that can't be dumped on going digital. They buy print paper,
chemicals and other sundry products photo related. Trays, squeegees, safe
lights, enlarger, timer, easels etc. for wet tray & film.

So going into digital isn't the outlay quite often suggested.

In any event when you have fellow stock photographers who switched overnight
to digital and in their first year of production saved $25,000 to $45,000 in
film and processing costs, one hardly requires much persuasion to go digital
. Certainly at whatever level one wishes.

In my own case I've saved thousands of dollars in film, B&W and colour,
along with processing. I just couldn't nor would I consider going back to
film.

And my friends that has absolutely nothing to do with elitism, snobbery,
insensitivity! But everything to do with the modern day world of
communication, photography and being hired to work on photographic projects.
And unfortunately the choice of one misunderstood word! :-(

ted