Subject: [Leica] Spain on film
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Feb 24 22:47:39 2008

Thanks to the comments and the kind words to Ric, Philippe, Luis,
Mark, Jim, Simon, Michiel, Ted, the other Luis, Jayanand and Mads. To
clarify my comment about inferiority of film: I should have been more
specific. What I meant is that with my scanning process (Epson V700)
in terms of pure resolution and sharpness, film is inferior to what I
get directly from my Canon or Olympus  DSLRs. That is obvious to me
when I look at the images at 100% in Lightroom. I am sure that if I
these scanned on a dedicated MF scanner or a drum scanner, this would
not be the case, certainly not for the Fuji Acros or the Pan F.

Having said that, the sharpness is good enough for the web and A4
prints, and the film does have a tonality that is difficult to
achieve with digital means. I was especially pleasantly surprised by
the Delta 3200--I had never shot it in MF before and had no idea what
to expect. I did not particularly like this film when I was shooting
35mm (Fuji Neopan 1600 was my preferred high-speed film then).

I suppose I do take more care when shooting film, knowing that there
are only 16 images per roll. When shooting at night, the slow lenses
on the Bronica (f4) force me to make more of an effort to hold the
camera steady and to avoid subject movement.

Thanks again to everyone for looking and commenting.

Nathan