Subject: [Leica] Spain on film
From: octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas)
Date: Sun Feb 24 15:25:35 2008

On 24/02/2008, at 21:49, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I am still trying to figure out if and how I shoot differently when
> shooting film (compared to digital which I how I do 98% of my work).
> I think that because of the inherent inferiority of film as far as
> sharpness is concerned

I'm not so sure about that "inferiority", it's just perception as once
both are printed with equiparable skills there is not a great
difference on the final output in terms of sharpness.

Obviously each output could be enhanced with many tricks,  either by
chemical manipulation on one side, or "just" artificially raising/
lowering the luminance of the pixels in the edges of the shapes (kinda
unsharp mask), which, in a more or less sophisticated way, is done by
every digital camera nowadays to look sharper than really it is, or
just because they really need it after applying their noise reduction
algorithms.

If you want bleeding sharpness out of your negs, ask your lab to use a
high definition developer, you'll see the difference

Nice set BTW.

PS: I'm thinking about driving down to Valencia this weekend due
family matters, if work allows. I'll let you know as the week goes on.

Any day above ground is a good one.
http://luis.imaginarymagnitude.net