Subject: [Leica] Frog Pond photos
From: elizabeth at reid.org (Elizabeth Reid)
Date: Sun Mar 2 21:36:12 2008

> One of two things, either use a longer lens in some cases or get
> closer.
> Although without skates you probably couldn't. Not that I'd want to
> be on
> ice with skates or no skates. :-)

Yes, I was basically hugging the wall for most of these shots. I'm not
much of an ice skater, myself, so trying to be on the ice while doing
this probably would have resulted in smashing my camera to bits...

> 7315 Frog Statue. Given that it's there and you shot it. May I ask
> why you
> didn't make better use of it in an attempt to show frog  and
> skaters? After
> all, aren't these people skating on Frog Pond? :-)

They set up the pond so that the frog statue faces the pond itself, so
any shots that include both would have the back of the frog, rather
than the front. That being said, the thought never crossed my mind to
try doing what you said. It's a good idea, though! I'll definitely
play with it next time I wander over there with a camera.

> 7299. Next time you make use of this shot crop the kid off on the
> left side.

It definitely looks better that way. Thanks!

> 7543. Crop the orange pylon off on the right side as we look at the
> picture.

I wasn't sure how tight of a crop to give that one. I wasn't sure if
it didn't seem too crowded without the extra space around them, but I
think that you're right in that the benefit of getting rid of that
distracting cone heavily outweighs the possible claustrophobia
(especially since it might be entirely in my head).

> Overall?
>
> Hey no one goes to an even like this and comes home with all perfect
> pictures. Trust me no one is that good.
>
> Best part? You made the effort to shoot not the easiest subject in the
> world. moving people on ice skates is not a piece of cake to shoot
> any time.
> But you picked off a couple of very good ones as said above.
>
> ted

Thank you! And thank you even more for the specific feedback! I'll put
up the new versions of those shots momentarily.

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Frog Pond photos)