Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Mar 12 09:59:02 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Chris Saganich wrote:

> Well again, vision doesn't cease with the shutter.  The extension of
> vision into the darkroom or the computer is often necessary.  Those
> who are solidly grounded in the conceptual framework of extension of
> vision photography or the painterly concepts of photography have
> little trouble with the digital world.  Like solarization or IR film
> these are obvious painterly concepts, removing reality from images,
> bringing attention to the handwork rather then the subject.  Except
> in the digital world this commingling of concepts becomes so subtle
> that reality can be purged or invented without anyone seeing it.  It
> is like there is violence being committed but no one notices or
> cares, the violence is invisible, and this is why the digital world
> seems sinister to me.

I think this was always true...though it's made easier now...not
altogether new or different...

In my experience, my own photography for my book, comprising almost
all film images, I found the honest documentation of children in the
hospital a conscious, ongoing struggle every step of the way.

Accurate and honest depiction of the child's reality was the goal, but
necessarily included getting people to look...

Steve

"I never wanted to be famous"

www.blurb.com