Subject: [Leica] There's no glory in failure
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun Mar 16 23:10:10 2008

Last week we went to Womadelaide, the huge world music festival held yearly
here in Adelaide.  I went with a particular desire to photograph the
installations by La Compagnie Carabosse http://www.ciecarabosse.fr/ an
excellent bunch of extrovert pyromaniac artists.  I shot three rolls of
Neopan 1600 with Noctilux and was fairly sure I got some good stuff.

Adelaide has been having a heatwave.  It's been over 35C each day for over
two weeks, with several days topping 40C and some nights failing to dip
under 30.  It's the hottest continuous patch on record for an Australian
capital city (of course there are places that are hotter, it's just that
no-one was dumb enough to put a large city there).

I have often made comments about how great Xtol is, particularly at 1+3 and
how to avoid Xtol failure:
http://leica-users.org/v36/msg00344.html
http://leica-users.org/v35/msg07982.html
http://leica-users.org/leica-users/v24/msg09022.html and others . . .
and we can now add another risk factor; do not let your Xtol simmer at 35C+
for a couple of weeks on end.  I've just had my first Xtol failure.

It does something odd when this happens: it had failed enough to make images
that were barely there (definitely unusable) at 1+3, but developed almost
fine at 1+1 or straight, maybe 10-15% less dense than I would expect
(definitely salvageable).  I may go to 1+1, or mix up some ascorbate brew in
propylene glycol.

Marty

Gallery (FULL of images developed using Xtol 1+3 and no problems):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?