Subject: [Leica] Re: Dave's PAW (*) 2008 #11
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Mar 19 17:53:45 2008

David, you are enjoying Lomo photographs and decrying the M8?
That is quite an extraordinary statement. Clearly you still have strongly
held emotional views on the M8. Naturally you are perfectly entitled to
express them here. It just seems to me to be a provocative and
confrontational statement to make in this venue. No-one's views are likely
to be swayed for or against the M8 by emotive statements, maybe I can offer
a couple of reasoned comments anyway.
If you have an opportunity to use the camera, you might discover some
fabulously clean and sharp, saturated images. Mine already has shown me
output from my lenses beyond anything I ever saw using film (and I was
extremely fond of my M7). You can use the camera in any manner you choose.
Chimping is not compulsory. Just use that LCD to access the clear and
intuitive menus for settings. The only other 'digital gizmo' I see is a
frame counter and battery level window. I don't know what you envision as a
means of displaying camera information without the LCD.
For my taste I would prefer an analog dial for exposure compensation maybe.
I was always a fan of the Contax approach with the G or N cameras for
example. But you could shoot for a year and only ever change the ISO
setting, if you wanted. There is an option to turn off image display all
together. I have mine in a half case with a flap that covers the LCD. This
keeps the LCD clean as an additional benefit. If you want to access the
exposure or colour temperature or check focus or composition etc
information, it is there whenever you like to look.
As to the shutter sound, are you suggesting that it was practical to put a
rubberized cloth blind shutter in front of the sensor? Following vocal
criticism, Leica has offered an option to change to a quieter version of the
modern shutter, if owners consider that an important issue. If there is
eventually a successor to the camera, I imagine that this new design might
be standard. Right now Leica is making an effort to offer an optional
upgrade path into the future for people who have the current camera. I think
that is a laudable thing for them to attempt. I am not bothered by the
shutter re-cocking noise at all.
To become competent with the M8, requires effort as with any camera. For me
exposure control for the sensor and frame-line accuracy both need learning.
Did I mention that the camera makes technically superb photographs if you do
your part?
None of that changes your opinion one whit, I would think ;-) Never mind, I
like to express my opinion here as well.

I confess that I completely fail to understand the cult of the Lomo, but its
enthusiasts clearly enjoy it. Good luck to them.

Cheers
Geoff