Subject: [Leica] Happy New year!
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Wed Mar 19 21:06:04 2008

Yo, Mark:

The Persian New Year is called (if you speak English...) Noh Rooz.
Simply means, "New Year".

Back in the day (mid 60's) as a young Marine I attended the (then) U.S.
Army Language School in Monterey, CA.  Now it's gentrified and call the
Defense Language Institute, West Coast.

One of the greatest years of my life; a single Marine Corporal living
in Monterey for 48 weeks among other young service personnel and the
odd Spook from CIA/DIA/NSA/Dept. of State etc. in one of the most
beautiful regions in North America.

Learning Farsi (Persian) from Iranian ex-pats during the day and
drinking and eating out almost every night with other guys learning
Russian, Chinese, Czech, you name it.  And racing over to Carmel at
lunch, down to Big Sur or up to San Francisco on the weekends.  Amazing
bunch of folks.

The Persian history, traditions and culture was fascinating, the range
of backgrounds of the instructors from a Bakhtiari (nomadic tribe) to
elitist academics and the Persian food was superb.

So yeah;  happy Noh Rooz, dude!

Bob in Seattle