Subject: [Leica] OT Follow Up: Prius Reliability (from an Owner)
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Wed Mar 12 11:05:33 2008

One reason I bought my 2nd Generation Prius (2003 - the latest design)
is that a cab driver in Vancouver BC bought a 1st generation Prius,
painted it yellow (he's a cab driver) and put more than 240,000 miles
on it primarily downtown driving.  Probably the hardest conditions for
any vehicle in terms of stop/start, braking, idling, etc.

Toyota bought his vehicle, gave him a 2nd Generation (which he promptly
painted yellow and put into service) and took the old car back to for
disassembly and inspection (something they learned from Charles
Keating, father of Quality Control back when it mattered here).

The battery and charging system were still functioning properly when it
was shipped to Japan.

According to the independent site, priuschat.com, we only know of one
2nd Generation battery replacement and that was under warranty.
Projected service life (according to Toyota) is 8 years.

The front disc brakes last a long time (we don't know how long, yet,
after almost four years)  due to the braking action of the front motor
generators.  Rear brakes will probably last the life of the car.

Much less vibration since the engine doesn't run all the time, plus
it's set up quite differently - seldom runs at low rpm unless the
battery is really low, and the air conditioner is electric motor driven
- no belt.

And so on.

Ours is at about 70,000 miles and has been great.  Actual measured
mileage (in hilly, traffic-congested and chilly Seattle) runs between
37 in downtown traffice in dead of winter to 52 in the summer on
freeway trips, usually with two of us, our Border Colle and a lot of
gear (plus Leica R lenses....)

And it is a PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) - one of the reasons
we decided to buy it.  We paid a higher price but meant to pollute
less.

I can live with that.

Regards to all,

Bob