Subject: [Leica] Re: tripod collar (was: Somewhat OT Canon lens question)
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 21:34:16 2008

Gene Duprey <grduprey@mchsi.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of a lens collar that would fit
> the Leica 80 - 200 Vario Elmar R so it can
> be mounted on a tripod or monopod?

I'm using a modified Leica STA-1 a.k.a. 14636 which is not entirely
satisfactory.  The problems I'm having with it are the clearance between the
collar and the aperture ring, and unless I do things exactly right, the
clearance between the collar and the DMR.  It needs to be modified to fit
the Vario (or, the Vario's red bump removed) by trimming one of the inner
ribs to clear the red bump.

As I understand it, the Burzynski collar is a better product.  Go to
isarfoto.com and search for 'burzynski leica' and it should pop right up.
The Burzynski also seems to have a built-in ARCA-compatible foot.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com