Subject: [Leica] OT: Weird TSA Luggage Search
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Mar 31 06:49:57 2008

Hi Jayanand,

The fact that they refused to sell you duty free in Frankfurt indeed
has nothing to do with security, and is a policy that predates 9/11
and the subsequent terrorism incidents and resulting security rules.

Since you were flying from Frankfurt to London, it was an intra-EU
flight, and tax-free on intra-EU travel was abolished some time in
the 1990s. The way this is implemented varies; in some airports you
cannot buy booze and tobacco at all if you are flying to another EU
country; in some you can buy booze but not tobacco, and the booze is
not really tax-free (e.g. the UK); and at others you can buy both
booze and tobacco, but if you are flying to another EU country, the
prices you pay are the same as they would be out on the town, i.e.
not tax-free. That is the case here in Spain.

Cheers,
Nathan

Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT: Weird TSA Luggage Search)
Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] OT: Weird TSA Luggage Search)