Subject: [Leica] In defence of the newspapers
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Apr 10 07:42:52 2008

At 12:57 AM 4/10/2008, Nathan wrote:
>Before we all jump on the newspapers for cutting back on their photo
>staff and using free images from readers, consider the double of
>triple whammy they have been hit with:

An interesting article in the NY Times about the life and death of
the American newspaper:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/03/31/080331fa_fact_alterman?currentPage=all

It's still very depressing to me.  We used to subscribe to three
daily newspapers and are down to one now.  It takes about 10 minutes
to read the whole thing.  Most of the very brief articles end with a
web address to go to for more information.  The grammar is atrocious
because spell-check doesn't check grammar.  The photos are
snapshots.  There are no professionals because the newspapers can't
pay enough for professionals to make a living.  Who is going to do
the investigative journalism that makes a difference in the
world?  True, there ares some web-blogs by journalists but how can
anybody make a living doing web-blogs?  Bah-humbug!

Tina

Tina Manley
http://leicatraveler.blogspot.com/
www.tinamanley.com