Subject: [Leica] In defence of the newspapers
From: kargue at sympatico.ca (Kevin Argue)
Date: Thu Apr 10 19:02:13 2008

Tina,
         Interesting article and personal comments about the state of
the business. However,
this is not new. It has been happening for a while. In my area of
Ontario, Canada, 9 staff
photogs have lost their jobs. Worse some papers have replaced working
shooters with
reporters with point and shoot cameras. Some papers are adding video
clip elements to
their web sites. Their video sucks as bad as their photos. The local
college teaching journalism
to feature weekly newspaper reporters has just phased out year 2
photography as well as the
photo shop lecture once a week. No more picture stories. In our area
"drive by shooting" refers
to a reporter with a camera driving , taking a snap and get out of
there. Some lazy bastards
don't even get out of the car. Out local paper had an 'A' section
that was 24 pages long-- now
6 pages!  Even studio style photographers are having problems.
Digital, free down loads, etc,
have added to the demise of commercial photography. No one wants to
spend money. I used to
shoot for the PR department of our national railroad. Not only do
they not take photos but the
guy I dealt with-- they fired him and his assistant!. This is
depressing.

Cheers,
Kevin Argue
Canada